Sunday, September 26, 2010

Belle ACEO

"Belle" 2.5 x3.5 Colored Pencil on Paper
This beautiful mare is owned by my Barn Manager, and I couldn't help but try my hand at painting her! She's a Champion Arabian Halter horse, and full of attitude! Around the stables we call her "Barbie" because of how she struts around! It's always amusing the personalities these creatures have, and that's most of the reason why I'm so drawn to horses. Their beauty and grace is just the perfect subject for a painting!
I also like completing these smaller works of art. They come in handy if there isn't a lot of time to complete a larger work, and they help keep things challenging. It's very hard to come up with a pleasing composition with such a tiny work space! Colors and contrasts become even more important than the subject matter as one trys to make the painting successful. With the time factor, I can usually have one of these completed in less than an hour. And in a busy work day between school, writing, music, and exercises- like I said, larger works just keep getting pushed back. This is especially true with school since I'm an art major, I have so many paintings due for different professors there just isn't time for personal work sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment