Monday, February 8, 2010

Snowed in = Painting Fun!

"Autumn's Beauty" 16x12 watercolor

Since I have been snowed in waaay too much recently I pulled out my watercolors to give them a good try. Honestly, I'm not too happy with the results. Watercolor is HARD! But- it makes for a nice challenge. This painting is from a photograph I took in October of my 27 year old thoroughbred mare, Ginger, happily enjoying the colorful mountains. I have also tried this photo in colored pencils, and eventually want to give it a go in either acrylic or oils. It's a very fun picture to reproduce!

One thing that is always important to remember when a painting dud rears its ugly head is to learn from the mistakes. What did I learn from this one? Use less water! And, don't over work it! With these two things in mind my next watercolor painting should be more of a success than this one. I also think I'm going to steer away from landscapes, those always seem to be duds.

With more snow on the way it certainly means I will be painting more! Currently I am working on a graphite portrait of my lovely little mare Melody. Although, I really wish the snow would stay away so I could actually, you know, see her!
Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment